Thursday, June 11, 2015

Rhubarb Cake with Vanilla Sauce - THM 'S'




My dad recently gave me a huge bag of rhubarb...which of course, I was super grateful for :) I was kind of torn, though...because I have this cake recipe that everyone loves, but it was 'off plan' for us (We have been following the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle for a little over a year). I could have just cheated and made it (I mean, what's one time?), but I really just wanted to find a way to be able to enjoy it anytime. So, I made the recipe as written and just swapped in on-plan ingredients (THM Baking Blend for flour, Truvia/ Swerve for sugar, and heavy cream instead of milk). While the flavor was right, the texture wasn't great. It was delicious...but more of a cobbler than a cake. So, I did a little research (mostly just going over other cake recipes that use alternative flours), and tweaked it a bit. Here is what I came up with....
(The full recipe is written up at the bottom of this post.)



You will need 4 cups of chopped, fresh rhubarb.


There was only one egg in the original recipe, but I increased it to three.  And even though you will use the whole eggs, they need to be separated.


Cream together the butter, sour cream, and sweetener, add in baking powder, and baking soda. Then, add in the egg yolks, and mix in THM Baking Blend and Oat Fiber.


The egg whites need to be beaten until stiff with 1/4 t. of xanthum gum.


Fold the egg whites into the batter. I know it seems like a lot of extra work...but it really is worth it. This is what gives the cake volume.


Then fold in the rhubarb.


The cake has a streusel topping. It includes 1/2 cup of oatmeal...but since it is spread over the entire cake, we are still safely in 'S' category....unless you eat the whole cake, which I don't recommend :)


Spread your batter in a greased 9x13 pan, sprinkle with topping and bake at 350 degrees for 30 min.


There is also a vanilla sauce to drizzle on top. Melt 1/2 cup of butter in a sauce pan, and then whisk in 1/4 t. of glucomannan.


Next, whisk in 1/2 c. of Swerve plus 2 T. brown Truvia (or just regular Truvia). Then add 1/2 c. of heavy cream, 1 t. vanilla, and 1/2 t. of cinnamon. Bring it to a low boil for about 3 to 5 min.



My personal opinion is that the cake is best served warm with the hot vanilla sauce on it. But, my husband prefers it cooled :) Store the left over sauce in the refrigerator. If you store it in a glass jar, you can just reheat it in a pan of water on the stove.


I was really happy with how it turned out....maybe even better than the original off plan version!

Rhubarb Cake
T. butter, softened
3/4 C. Swerve, 1/4 c. Truvia
1 C. sour cream
3 eggs, separated
1 3/4 C. THM Baking Blend, 1/4 C. Oat Fiber
1 1/2 t. baking powder 
1 t. baking soda
4 C. fresh, chopped rhubarb

Streusel Topping
1/4 C. THM Baking Blend
1/2 C. oatmeal
1/4 C. Brown Truvia
4 T. butter, melted

Vanilla Sauce
1/2 C. butter
1/4 t. glucomannan
1/2 C. Swerve
2 T. Brown Truvia
1/2 C. heavy cream
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease a 9x13 baking dish. Separate eggs, and beat egg whites with xanthum gum until peaks form. In a separate bowl...cream together butter, sour cream, and sweetener. Mix the egg yolks in to the batter. Add baking blend and oat fiber. Gently fold in egg whites, then fold in rhubarb. Spread in prepared pan.For the topping...mix together baking blend, oatmeal and brown Truvia. Pour in melted butter, and mix with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle topping over batter. Bake for 30 minutes.For the vanilla sauce....melt butter in sauce pan, and whisk in glucomannan. Then add sweetener, heavy cream, vanilla, and cinnamon. Bring to a low boil for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve over warm cake!

     Enjoy!


Pin It!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there a good substitute for oatmeal? I need to make this gluten free.
Thanks!

Kelly said...

Chopped nuts would make a great streusel topping.

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

Do you have an ingredient/measurements list to go with this post? All I see are pictures, and I just got some rhubarb and can't wait to try this recipe! :) Thanks!

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

Oh, haha- nevermind! I highlighted the big blank area just to see if the font color blended in with the background and I see it now- thanks! <3